Mental Health and Well-being Students » Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Frequently Asked Questions for Students


What do I do if I'm in crisis? 

If you are:
  • Feeling desperate and hopeless
  • Worried you might hurt yourself or someone else or are having suicidal thoughts
  • Alone with no one to talk
And you have:
  • Made a plan
  • The means to hurt yourself or someone else
  • Attempted suicide or hurt yourself before

Please get help immediately. Call 911.

If you are in emotional distress and not currently suicidal but need to speak with someone you can connect with, contact a community provider.

I need help but I'm not in crisis. Where should I start?

The easiest way to get started is to see your family doctor. If you don't have a family doctor, go to a walk-in clinic. You can also go to a counseling agency such as North Eastern Ontario Family and Children's Services. To see a psychiatrist, you will need a referral from your family doctor.

Should I reach out for help or am I experiencing normal stress?

Ask yourself the next few questions...
  • Have I been feeling this way for a prolonged period of time?
  • Is how I'm feeling affecting my everyday life in a negative way?
  • Am I dealing with my problems in unhealthy ways?
If you answered yes to these questions or are unsure, you should consider talking to someone.  You can speak to your principal or guidance teacher to be connected to a caring adult at the school who can connect you to needed services.  Learn more at:

Where can I learn more about mental health?

Mental Health is defined as a state of well-being in which every person is able to realize their own potential, is able to cope with stressors of daily life, and is able to engage and contribute to the overall community (World Health Organization, 2018). Learn more at: