Early Learning Kindergarten
The Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program is offered in all elementary schools.
The implementation of full-day kindergarten began in selected sites in September 2010 in support of the Ontario Ministry of Education's goals of increasing student achievement, closing the gaps and increasing confidence in publicly-funded education. Draft program documents have been developed to guide teaching and learning in the context of the day program and the extended-day program. Since implementation began in 2010 board teams have participated in periodic training sessions and summer institutes to support locally developed implementation activities. This project is targeted to support ongoing implementation of the Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program [Draft Version] and the Extended-Day Program [Draft Version] documents in current sites during each school year and will also contribute to the professional learning of teachers and early childhood educators across the province.
- To develop and share evidence-informed, research-based instructional practices that support effective local and provincial implementation of the draft Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program document.
- To build team capacity in early learning-kindergarten classrooms through play-based and inquiry-based instruction.
- To provide support for short-term and long-term co-planning and program implementation activities for teams of early childhood educators and teachers, including grade 1 teachers as appropriate, during the five years scheduled for full implementation (2010-2015).
Scope of Project:
Funding is provided to support the following activities:
- Release of early learning-kindergarten team members, including grade 1 teachers as appropriate, for co-planning and program implementation activities.
- Release of early learning-kindergarten team members, including grade 1 teachers as appropriate, for professional learning activities directly linked to the implementation of the draft Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program document.
- Development, implementation, and sharing of inquiry-based and/or play-based instructional strategies that link directly to the draft program document, may also support literacy and/or numeracy skills development, and are developmentally appropriate for 4 and 5 year olds.
Extended Day & Third Party Programs:
Extended Day and Third Party Programs are available in a number of our schools. See this document for details.